Working with OLIGEN: oleocanthal
Making a Stock Solution of Oleocanthal (molecular weight 304 g/mol)
*Oleocanthal is susceptible to degradation when exposed to light, air or water. Efforts to avoid these conditions as much as possible will extend the life of the compound.
- Dissolve 20 mg in 0.5 ml acetone by swirling.
- Aliquot 50 μl into ten polypropylene tubes and dry in a vacuum oven keeping the temperature below 65 C.
- Flush with Nitrogen and tightly cap.
- Store at -20 C. Under these conditions, the compound is stable for at least one year.
- The following is a suggestion only. You may prefer to make stock solutions in a different manner. Before starting an experiment, add 131 μl of DMSO to one of the stock vials which will make a 50 mM stock solution. Aliquot 13 μl of this stock solution into 10 microfuge tubes for a working stock. Each tube will be diluted for one experiment to concentrations ranging from 1 μM to 250 μM. We suggest not freeze thawing for reuse. This DMSO working stock is stable for one month stored at -20 C.
- 100 μM experimental concentrations will only be 0.2% DMSO but best to have a vehicle control (DMSO at the same concentration as the oleocanthal samples).